On this week’s episode of Versus Trump, Easha and Charlie have a quick turn-around emergency pod to discuss an ongoing—wait, just now resolved—case filed by a pregnant 17-year-old girl in federal immigration custody who seeks an abortion. Easha and Charlie first talk about the procedural wrangling that this case has wrought and second about the legal claims in the case, which bring them into the exciting worlds of reproductive rights, immigration law, and international relations.
As usual, you can listen online below, and subscribe here with any podcast player or here in iTunes.
Please share or provide feedback, and rate us in iTunes. You can find us at @VersusTrumpPod on twitter, or send us an email at email@example.com.
- The ACLU's statement confirming that Jane Doe aborted her pregnancy is here.
- The D.C. Circuit's en banc opinion, issued on October 24, is here. This returned the case to the district court.
- Other legal documents in the case can be found at the ACLU's website here (scroll down to "Legal Documents").
- Leah Litman's Take Care post on this case can be found here.
- Charlie and Easha talked about several Supreme Court cases. The recent Whole Women's Health case is here. Plyler v. Doe is here. Boumediene v. Bush is here.
- We also talked about some of the issues related to the rights of non-citizens or those outside the United States in earlier episodes, including those about the Muslim ban. Our archive is here.