// 1/14/18 //
In tweets, President Trump wavers between opposition and support of FISA reauthorization (NYT, Cato Institute, LA Times)
- Lawfare lays out the damage of the contradictory tweets.
- Just Security notes the absurdity of President Trump’s flip-flop.
- The New York Times analyzes the tweets.
- The Washington Post dives into the President’s habit of not knowing what his White House is doing.
- The White House says that there was no contradiction (WaPo).
- Paul Ryan believes President Trump understands the FISA (WaPo).
On the 16th anniversary of the prison’s founding, Guantanamo Bay prisoners file mass habeas petition (Just Security, WaPo).
- The petition alleges that detentions have gone on too long (WaPo).
- A tweet from President Trump is central to the petition (Buzzfeed).
Cybersecurity experts say that the United States should be prepared for Iran to target U.S. infrastructure, including economic and government assets, with destructive cyberattacks (The Hill).
The U.S. citizen enemy combatant case, ACLU v. Mattis, may be moving towards a merits determination, and Robert Chesney and Steve Vladeck outline the issues at Lawfare.