// 10/1/17 //
President Trump proposed a sweeping tax overhaul (NYT, WSJ, WaPo).
- Read the proposed plan here.
- The Wall Street Journal analyzes the plan's winners and losers.
- The proposal fails to address how to close a loophole associated with “pass-through” business income, notes Neil Irwin at the New York Times.
- The plan constitutes an about-face from Republicans’ previous concerns about the dangers of raising the federal debt, writes Greg Ip at the Wall Street Journal.
- The public should question President Trump’s assertion that his tax plan does not benefit himself, urges Philip Bump at the Washington Post.
According to many news outlets, President Trump provided misleading statements on who will benefit under the proposed Republican tax plan (NYT, WaPo).
- President Trump’s speech on tax reform can be viewed here.
- The tax plan would provide significant economic benefits to President Trump and his family (WaPo).
- The Tax plan may include a hidden tax hike, argues Chris Edwards at CATO.
- The Wall Street Journal considers the plan’s possible impact on Wall Street.